Follow HollieGeorginaOsborne on WordPress.com

Shibori in the house

The technique used today was clamping or shibori. Its an extremely effective way of getting interesting designs using dyes.
We used silk which I think worked fantastically for this in particular. 
I experimented with the folds on the fabric, also with the blocks used to clamp, both creating very different effects. The fabric is folded/clamped/twisted/tied and whatever else you can think of, then submerged into you choice of dye bath, left to reach desired colour then washed.
The outcome was amazing, am really impressed with some of the pieces and will be using a few as my best samples!
(Please excuse the creases, I haven’t yet pressed them!)
image

image

image

Advertisements

Having a go at appliqué

So one of the thing’s I missed at the start of term was how to appliqué, so yesterday i decided to give it a go. I wanted to do something that I could use both print and stitch techniques on, so I did!
Using an old jumper that desperately needed to be reworked, I designed a print. Next I chose a fabric (which I got in a charity shop!) The idea was to appliqué patches onto the jumper then print my design onto it, so using bondaweb I ironed the cut fabric onto the top then i used a maroon sheet of flock, once that was done I used a decorative stitch to finish the edging. I am very happy with the results and will be using this as one of my best samples.
image

image

image

image


Disposables in Stitch

During our first term we have had chance to work in both stitch and print. Unfortunately i missed out on some of the stitch techniques, so for the past few days, in preparation for our hand in i’ve been catching up.
Yesterday I gave dissolvables a second go, basically this with this technique, you sew onto a plastic sheet using an embroidery hoop then you put finished piece in water until plastic has completely dissolved.
I used freehand on the sewing machine, which can be quite challenging…
This will be used as one of my samples, 4 down, 2 to go!
image

image


Puff

I’ve learned another wonderful technique in the print room, Puff. Its another process that is used with a silk screen.
A translucent glue is used, pigment can be added to this if desired, then pushed through the screen. Once dry an iron is carefully held over the glue until it has puffed to perfection!
It was great fun using this technique!
image

image

image

image

image

image


What the Flock?

One thing that I really enjoyed learning is how to flock. I was thoroughly surprised when I realised that my silk screen could be used in so many different ways (which I will post about)
Flocking is done by pushing a glue through the screen rather than pigment, it’s done in exactly the same way with a squeegee. Once yoy have your design in glue on your fabric you then wait for it to dry, once dry, using heat press and a sheet of flock you transfer the flock onto the glue. After this stage you slowly peel off the sheet and voilà! Your masterpiece is done.
The wonderful Steve even allowed me to print onto a jumper, pictures soon.
image

image

image


Special entry to the botanical archives at Cardiff Museum

So last Monday our textiles class has a special invite to go to the museum while it’s closed to have a look at some of the archived botanical illustrations.
We seen only a very small collection of what they have, even so they were very beautiful and impressive! Some were very old yet they were so incredibly detailed, im told some artise used brushes with one single hair so as they could get the detail just perfect.
In our groups we were asked to draw whichever took our fancy, I chose a piece called Magnolia by Ehret, not anywhere near as beautiful as the original, but I enjoyed having a go!
image

image

image

image


Screen Printing, the door to many corridors.

Screen printing was something i’d had a go at before and really enjoyed. The screen printing facilities were a big part of the reason i chose Textiles at Cardiff Metropolitan.

So the day was started by Steve showing us how to coat our silk screens with a light sensitive emulsion, I’ve done it before so i stick my hand up to demonstrate. Screens coated and put to dry, next is our designs, I chose some simple drawings with thick dark lines to start with. I’d drawn a few mushrooms that i found in the garden so i picked one of those and i chose a second design, which i then scanned and lubed up with vegetable oil ready to be exposed onto the screen.

563192_543755312368923_1131107444_n

Next I placed my designs down, placed the screen on top and exposed them to light. After the screen is washed it is ready!

I then put the screen face down on my fabric, mixed my chosen pigment colour and using a squeegee, put medium pressure and pulled the colour down and up, 3 times, to ensure it is pushed evenly through the screen.

I am happy with the outcome, the only thing i did wrong was placed my ‘Shroom’ design back to front before exposing it so when i used it the text was backwards. easily corrected though, i just put some tape over the text so the pigment can’t be pushed through!

67960_543794685698319_374847058_n 1383742_543794925698295_1078024385_n